Its officially soup season and nothing is better then a hearty chicken soup. We eat soup every evening (well in Ramadan anyway) and have it when we break our fast. On rotation in our house (apart from the odd occasion where I’ll make up a box mix of Haleem), are three staple soups. Chicken and Vegetable being my husbands favourite.
This recipe is adapted from the book “Cosmopolitan Cuisine” by Hamida Kolia. Its literally my go to recipe book, and every single thing in it is a success. My book is so dog eared from being used all the time, I desperately need a new copy. This chicken soup is quick, easy and hugely flavorsome and the whole family will love it. Both my boys eat it and it can be cooked in under 30 minutes.
- 1 cup chicken fillets (cubed)
- 1 small onion diced
- About a Tbsp Oil/ghee
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic flakes (or fresh garlic)
- 1 tsp chicken spice
- 1 Tblsp Worcester sauce
- 1/4 tsp green chillies (finely ground)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup frozen Veg (I use the carrot, pea and corn one)
- 1 pkt Knorr Thick Vegetable Soup
- Braise your cubed chicken in oil with onions and all spices; (garlic, salt/pepper, chillies, chicken spice and Worcester sauce), on a medium heat for approx 10 minutes.
- Add a litre of water to the pot and bring to simmer
- Add in your cup of frozen veg and bring to boil again for about 5 minutes
- Add in your packet of thick vegetable soup (I mix it in with a little cold water first before adding it to the pot, so it doesn’t go lumpy).
- Boil until soup is slightly thick
- Using your hand blender, blend until smooth.
- Garnish with cream or fresh coriander is optional
My husband prefers a smooth soup, so we blend most of ours to a smooth consistency, but this of course, is optional.
I’ll be sharing our other two favourites over the next week, which are creamy butternut and a soul warming creamy chicken and corn. What are your favourite winter soups? Do you eat them as a meal in itself or as a starter?