It’s almost been one whole year since COVID first struck South Africa.
That’s one whole year of my husband and I both working from home and juggling a balance of work, home schooling, activities, and lock downs. Safe to say, I have cooked more in this past year then I have in my entire life.
I am always looking for quick, easy and healthy meal options to serve to the family, and as a working mum, that’s typically delivered under extremely tight deadlines!
My kids and I love to cook together in the kitchen and I am trying to raise my boys to know how to cook from a young age, so they can never have a love for cooking and one day spoil their partners. I’ve also found that by encouraging them to cook WITH me, they actually eat a lot healthier and are typically more adventurous in their food choices. McCain and Sea Harvest offer a range of exceptional quality products that are both nutritious and delicious. I remember when we first went into lockdown stocking up on McCain’s frozen Veg and Sea Harvest fish because I knew that if the grocery stores did ever run out of fresh produce, at least my family had healthy meals at our fingertips; all products are frozen at their freshest, so you know the quality and nutrients are locked in.
Lunch time in particular is the worst for me. I’m in the middle of my work day, yet I have a hungry husband and two whiny kids who need a hot meal. McCain and Sea Harvest are such life savers when I need a quick, healthy meal and has offered huge flexibility to my mealtimes.
I’ll be sharing a couple of my easiest recipes featuring our favourites over the next week, but this one by far is my favourite, and it’s so easy, even my 5 year old can do it!
Quick and Easy Fish and Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Sea Harvest Oven Crisp Fish (you could also use Hake, however, I love the slight crunch that Oven Crisp adds)
- McCain Stir Fry Asian Vegetables
- Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- Spring Roll Pastry (you can also use Phyllo if you can’t find)
- Chives/ Spring Onion to garnish
- Sweet Chilli sauce for dipping
- Place your Sea Harvest Oven Crisp Fish in the Oven as per instructions (15-20 minutes).
- Stir Fry your McCain Asian Vegetables.
- Dip Vermicelli noodles into boiling water for 2 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- Once your fish has cooked and cooled chop up into small pieces, along with the cooled vegetables.
- Mix in your Vermicelli to the fish and vegetable mixture and add about a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce for flavour.
- Place about a tablespoon of the mixture along one side of the spring roll pastry and brush, tuck in the bottom and tops and roll into a sausage shape.
- Fry on medium heat for 3-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
These are such a yummy afternoon snack and a great option for lunchboxes too, let me know if you try them and look out for more recipe ideas for easy, healthy meals with McCain and Sea Harvest over the next few weeks on my Instagram page!
Sea Harvest and McCain are bringing the fun and creativity back into your kitchen with a fantastic competition. Re imagine mealtimes with #FriendsInYourFreezer and stand a chance to WIN 1 of 10 PlayStation 5 consoles.
For more information, visit www.friendsinyourfreezer.co.za. T&C’s apply. You can also download this fun activity book to keep the kids busy!
Disclaimer: This post was written in collaboration with Sea Harvest and McCain, however, all recipe and content is my own.