An orange scented custard, floating in a sea of toffee coloured sauce, topped with a deep rich caramel. Learn how to make this smooth, creamy caramel and fall head over heels with the combination of flavours. This easy pressure cooker dessert is sure to wow your guests and bring a touch of flair to the Christmas table.
There are few things in life that are better then a really good Creme Caramel, or Creme Brulee and one of the things I have been enjoying the most in my Instant Pot is experimenting with these custard desserts. From my white chocolate “Pot du Creme” last year, to Creme Brulee and now this Orange Infused Creme Caramel, Instant Pot has really made preparing these decadent desserts an easy task.
Queue endless dessert options for gatherings… (post COVID of course).
Christmas time in our house always features oranges for some reason, whether its an orange at the end of your stocking, or dried oranges in garlands or potpourri, we have always featured citrus. When I was thinking of a unique take on the Creme Caramel, gently infusing it with orange just made sense.
The whole thing is cooked from start to finish in the Instant Pot. From the toffee coloured caramel to the orange infused milk. This is a great addition to any festive table and can be ready in under 30 minutes (with overnight refrigeration). This recipe is a keeper and one I will turn to time and time again!
Orange Infused Creme Caramel
- Pressure Cooker
- 3/4 cup (150g) white sugar
- 80 ml water
- 1 cup (250ml) full cream milk
- 1 cup (250ml) double thick cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch of salt
- Summer Berries to top
- For the caramel: Switch on your Instant Pot and set to Sauté, wait until you see the "hot" display. Add the sugar and water and stir once to combine. Allow the sugar to caramelize and then gently swirl until everything is an even dark golden brown, careful not to burn it! As soon as the golden colour has been achieved quickly remove the inner pot and carefully pour the caramel equally across your ramekins (you should get between 5 and 6). Allow the caramel syrup to cool.
- Wash out your Inner Pot and once clean, set to Sauté once again. Heat up 1 cup (250ml) full cream milk and 1 cup (250ml) double thick cream. Add in your sugar, 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract, the orange zest and a pinch of salt to the warm milk. Stir until the sugar fully dissolves. Remove from the heat and strain through a sieve.
- Beat 3 eggs in a medium bowl. You are going to temper the eggs, so slowly bring the eggs' temperature up by pouring the warm milk mixture in little by little. Continue to whisk as you pour the remaining milk, make sure you are slow in this step, you don't want to "cook" your eggs. Pour the mixture in the caramel-filled ramekins through a strainer. Cover each ramekin tightly with foil.
- Into clean inner pit, pour 1 cup cold water. Insert the steamer rack and put the covered ramekins on the rack. Secure the lid and move the vent to Sealing Position. Set to Pressure Cook on High for 9 minutes then allow a Natural Release.
- Once the valve drops, open lid carefully, try to make sure no water falls onto the foil. Remove ramekins from Instant Pot and aside to cool, then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, dip your ramekins into a bowl of warm water to allow them to invert easily, flip onto a plate and serve with some mint, berries and a touch of orange!