A simple, quick and delicious recipe for Butter Bean/ Lima Bean Curry. This curry literally has a cook time of under 10 minutes in the Instant Pot. It’s packed full of protein and is meat free, making it the perfect dish for “Meat Free Monday”.
Serve this up for a hearty and comforting weeknight meal, and you can just adjust the chilli content to suit the family. Butter beans are creamy, full beans that don’t have an obtuse flavour.
I know we are allowed to go out to get essentials during lockdown, but to be honest, I don’t want to. As much as I can I chose to stay home, minimising the risk to my family, and to others. So we are using our pantry essentials as much as we can, and it’s allowing me to get a bit more creative in the kitchen. So if you are looking for a vegan option to add to your weeks routine, print out this super easy recipe and let me know how it goes.
And yes, you read that right, this curry is ready in less then 15 minutes total. I love pressure cooking.
Butter Bean Curry
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 cans butter beans
- 1 tsp ginger & garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chilli Powder
- A few sprigs of Thyme
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tomatoes grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 large potatoes quartered
- oil to fry
- 1 cup water
- handful of green beans
- Set your Instant Pot to "saute" mode
- Add in oil, onion, cinnamon, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaves and ginger garlic and braise onion until soft.
- Add in chilli powder, turmeric, coriander + cumin powder, salt and fry until fragrant
- Add in tomatoes
- Add in potatoes and about a cup of water (to just cover potatoes).
- Set to Manual, Seal vent and set to 4 minutes
- Quick Release and add in your green beans and canned butter beans
- Lid back on and seal, setting manual time to 2 minutes
- Quick pressure release and if need be saute to thicken sauce.