This classic potato leek soup has been adapted to the Instant Pot. With the potato and leeks cooked under pressure, your favourite wholesome soup is cooked in record time for a smooth and creamy soup, perfect for a starter or lunch time meal.
Leeks are probably one of the most underutilised vegetables but can add a lot of depth and flavor to any dish. This wholesome soup has the most basic ingredients but soothes the soul with its earthy, classic flavours. It’s one of my absolute best and is perfect for the cold weather.
How to make Instant Pot potato and leek soup
- Prep your potatoes and leeks.
- Sauté the leeks in butter for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, followed by the stock, potatoes, and thyme.
- Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes, and then do a natural pressure release.
- Blend the soup until it’s smooth (I used an immersion blender).
- Season as needed and enjoy!
Vegan Friendly Option
I use butter to Saute my leeks and add in cream at the end for an extra touch of decadence, but you don’t have to do this. This soup is a perfect vegan recipe .
Instant Pot Potato And Leek Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chopped leaks
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 cups chopped potatoes peeled and cut into inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup thick cream
- 1/4 cup full cream milk
- salt & pepper to season
- 1 bay leaf
- Select the "Saute" function on the Instant Pot.
- Add the butter and olive oil to the pot, once hot add the leeks. Saute until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute to release flavour, if using green chilli, add it in here.
- Add potatoes, stock, salt, bay leaf and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set to "sealing"
- Select the "High Pressure" setting and set timer to Set the timer to 7 minutes . It usually takes 5-10 minutes for your Pressure Cooker to reach high pressure and then the countdown begins.
- Natural Pressure Release for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Using your hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add in milk, heavy cream and pepper, stirring to combine
- Garnish with a drizzle of cream and chives or croutons
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) unsalted butter
- 4 cups (312 g) chopped leeks, white and light green parts, ⅛-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 cups (454 g) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth, or stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) chopped chive