While we are very much still cocooned in our newborn “honeymoon” period, it gives me a bit of extra time with the boys and to enjoy the simple things again with them. My boys utterly adore baking, but recently, they have wanted to do everything themselves (thanks to Cbeebie’s, “Around the World” cooking show). This includes mixing their own flour, eggs, sugar – so basically, baking from scratch.
When Royal Baking Powder sent through their latest cooking book, filled with easy to try recipes from scratch we jumped for joy! The book is filled with mouth watering sweet treats (and a few savoury) to try and bake at home. First up we chose the muffins, because when my youngest son goes to playschool, its a ritual for him to sit down in the kitchen at school, and eat his “muffin” before running in to play. It is also a quick and easy recipe that we baked from start to finish while baby was down for her morning sleep.
I will admit if I had to bake this again I would either add a little more butter, or perhaps smash in two banana’s. I found the recipe to be a teeny bit dry. Then again, it was mixed by the boys….
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 TBSP Royal Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup caramel brown sugar
- 125g Cadbury Dairy Milk coarsely chopped
- 50g pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 extra large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125g melted butter
- Extra chocolate roughly chopped for topping
- OPTIONAL: Smash in a banana
Preheat Oven to 200 Degrees Celcius
- Sift Flour, Royal Baking Powder and salt together. Add the sugar, chocolate and nuts.
- Whisk eggs, milk and essence together. Add Dry ingredients, with the melted butter and mix gently.
- Spoon mixture into large greased muffin pans until about 3/4 full. Sprinkle remainding chopped chocolate on top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Cool and devour!
I found these muffins to be the perfect balance. Not too sweet but still filled with chocolatey goodness. Next time I’ll add that banana which I think will compliment the flavours really well. A spoon or so of coffee may also do the trick! What was the last thing you #bakedfromscratch ? These really didn’t take anytime at all!